Not All Heroes Wear Capes

This past Saturday, January 11th, the world lost a hero. Fran Heitzman, the founder of Bridging, passed away at the age of 94 after a brief illness. I first met Fran back in, I believe, 2013, when he came to our office to help us celebrate our first Pillow Fight victory. He had on his ever-present white Bridging cap and his Bridging jacket and his smile seriously lit up the office. After we had our celebratory breakfast, he spoke about Bridging. It all started in the basement of a church where Fran was a janitor. A woman came in with a crib and asked if the church could use it. The church couldn't but Fran figured someone could so he accepted the crib and thus, Bridging was born.
Fran also spoke about a family who was moving into their first home built for them through Habitat for Humanity. When he showed up at the house, the little girl in the family grabbed his hand and excitedly pulled him into the house and said, "I'm going to show you my room! I've never had my own room or my own bed!" He regaled us with more stories and I'm not ashamed to tell you that there were several people in the group wiping tears from their cheeks.
In 2018, at our Pillow Fight celebration, Fran made a point to sit next to me at the table. After he sat down, he gripped my hand tightly and said, "I just love you so much!" I got teary (cuz I'm such a sap) and I replied, "I love you, too!" And I did. His compassion for others and helping those in need was infectious and until I met Fran, I didn't realize how much helping others would affect me and, in essence, change my life. Fran helped people because it was the right thing to do and you knew he truly enjoyed it. If you walked into Bridging, he'd greet you with a smile and a hug and made you feel like you were someone truly special to him. If he gave you the tour of Bridging, you could hear the pride in his voice as he showed you around one of their facilities. And people who work there and volunteer there loved him and admired him and it showed.
I consider myself so blessed to have known and admired Fran Heitzman. I am proud that we've been able to help such a wonderful organization and a wonderful human being. I will continue to be a champion for Bridging; it's what Fran would want.
Thank you, Fran, for giving the world such hope, kindness and love and for making me a better person. I am truly honored to have known you and hope I am just like you when I grow up.
Rest in Peace, my friend; you've earned those angel wings.



"When good people come together to do good things then good things happen!"




Comments

  1. Beautiful, Sara. Thank you so much for sharing these inspiring stories. We are so proud to have YOU as an amazing Bridging Champion, partnering with us to help carry on his legacy.

    Mark Wilkening, Bridging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an honor & will continue to be an honor to support Bridging!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION TO MOI!